Employment in the health care sector is rewarding, provides job security and diversity, and opportunities for growth. These might be just a few of the reasons you dove right in and become a certified nursing assistant. You care for patients and work alongside nurses and physicians to restore health. But you want something more – a greater role in patient care, higher pay, and more flexibility in your career options. Then, your next step is to enroll in a nursing program to practice as a professional nurse. If time and money is an issue, a practical nursing program is your best bet. In 12 months or less, you can prepare to take the National Council Licensing Exam to become a licensed practical nurse. Like CNAs, LPNs work closely with patients and their families to administer care. The need for LPNs has not diminished as the aging population look to competent health care providers to meet their health care needs. Completing an LPN program will help you to fill the gap for healthcare workers in the burdened healthcare sector.
Florida State College at Jacksonville
Florida State College provides a career path for certified nursing assistants to prepare for a career as a practical nurse. The curriculum covers basic nursing and clinical skills to prepare students for employment in acute and long-term care settings. It includes 1350 contact hours of instruction in the classroom and clinical externship at local health care facilities. Course modules include Practical Nursing Foundations lecture, practical nursing foundations lab, medical surgical nursing lecture and lab, and comprehensive nursing and transitional skills. Students must complete each course in a specified sequence and obtain a minimum grade C to program to the next course and graduate from the program. Graduates will be eligible to apply to sit for the NCLEX for Practical Nurses. The program is designed to be completed in three terms. New students are admitted in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
- A high school diploma or high school equivalent
- Submit a completed application by the published deadlines
- Submit TABE scores or documentation of exemption. Must have a minimum score of 572 in language, 563 in reading, and 577 in math to be considered
- Complete the physical exam requirements – students will need to renew their annual physical exam as well as TB test
- CNA applicants must have current certification to practice
- Must have current CPR certification – adult, child and infant through American Heart Association approved Basic Life Support Course for Health Care Providers, that includes hands on simulated experiences
- Submit HESI A2 admission assessment scores. Only average scores of 75% or greater will be accepted
- Complete a satisfactory criminal background check – at the expense of the student
- Submit to drug screen requirements
The approximate cost of tuition and fees is $3,942. Books, uniforms, and supplies are not included in the total.
- Website: https://www.fscj.edu/home
- Address: 4501 Capper Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32218
- Phone: (904) 766-6500
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 80.77%
Concorde Career Institute
The practical nursing program at Concorde Career Institute admits certified nursing assistants who are currently certified in the State of Florida. They will be prepared to function as competent health care professionals who are capable and productive in acute and long-term care facilities. The curriculum covers 1722 contact hours of theory and practical instruction – 767 in the classroom, 139 hours of lab, and 816 for the clinical practice. Course modules are Basic Foundations in Nursing and Nursing Practice, Personal and Vocational Concepts, Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing, Medical-Surgical Nursing, Family Health Nursing & Transition to Practice, Career Path Success, and Clinical Practice. Career Path Success A,B,C,D,E, and F are offered online and account to 90 hours of the total program hours. Upon successful completion of the required 67 credits, students will receive a Practical Nursing Diploma and be eligible to take the NCLEX for licensure as a practical nurse. Graduates will also have the option to take IV101 Intravenous Therapy at no extra cost. The duration of the program is 50 weeks for full-time students and 80 weeks for part-time students.
- Complete a campus tour and interview with an Admissions Representative
- Submit a completed application and sign the Enrollment Agreement
- Complete the admissions exam – the Wonderlic SLE with a minimum score of 17 or the HESI with a minimum score of 70
- Submit a record of high school completion – a high school diploma, transcript, or high school equivalency
- Must be at least 18 years at the commencement of the clinical rotations
- Must be in good physical health as evidenced from a satisfactory physical exam signed by a licensed health care provider
- Must have a valid photo ID and social security card
- Complete a criminal background check and drug screen – initiated by the school
- Submit a record of current immunizations
- Must obtain a negative TB skin test
The cost of the program is $32,117. It includes tuition, textbooks, and supplies. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://www.concorde.edu/
- Address: 7259 Salisbury Rd., Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Phone: (904) 725-0525
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 0.00%
Jersey College prepares certified nursing assistants as well as those who are new to the healthcare field for employment as a licensed practical nurse. The curriculum combines coursework and clinical experiences with an emphasis on problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills. Instruction begins with fundamental courses to build a solid foundation that students can use to continue their education in nursing. Students must complete 1501 hours. Approximately half of the program is committed to the clinical education. Course modules are Fundamentals of Nursing, Fundamentals of Nursing Practicum, Adult Nursing I, Adult Nursing Practicum, Mental Health Nursing, Geriatric Nursing, Maternal and Newborn Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Adult Nursing II, and Adult Nursing II Practicum. The coursework is designed to be completed in four 12-week terms. Graduates will eligible to take the NCLEX for practical nurses. Day and evening schedules are available.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have completed high school or high school equivalency
- Provide a valid state photo ID and social security card
- Apply for admission to the Practical Nursing program
- Demonstrate satisfactory skill levels in reading and math – must obtain a minimum of 75% on the reading and math admission exam
- Schedule and succeed at an admission interview
- Must be in good physical health as demonstrated by a satisfactory physical exam report signed by a licensed health care provider
- Provide documentation of immunization – Mantoux test, Tetanus, Hepatitis B, MMR, Varicella, seasonal flu shot
- Must have current BLS for Health Care Providers certification from American Heart Association
- Must have a current license to practice as a certified nursing assistant
The cost of the program is $24,074. It includes tuition, books, nursing kit, background check fee, application fee, registration fee, and uniform.
- Website: https://www.jerseycollege.edu/
- Address: 8131 Baymeadows Circle W, Jacksonville, FL 32256
- Phone: (904) 733-3588
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 93.33%
First Coast Technical College
Certified nursing assistants have a competitive edge in the selection process for the practical nursing program at First Coast Technical College. The program is available in an accelerated format or a standard day program. It covers 1350 contact hours of instruction in the classroom, lab, and clinical facilities. Students will learn geriatric care, human growth and development, nutrition, rehabilitation basics, communication skills, care for medical surgical, oncology patients, mental health concepts, legal and ethics responsibilities, and pharmacology and administration of medications. Students will participate in an unpaid clinical experience and unpaid preceptor rotation. Graduates will be eligible to apply to the Board of Nursing to sit for NLCEX-PN. The duration of the program is 49 weeks for the advanced program and 56 weeks for the standard day program.
- Must be 18 years of age at the completion of the program
- Must have a high school diploma or GED for admission
- Must submit CASAS or TABE scores unless a basic skills exemption is granted
- Request official sealed high school transcripts to be sent to FCTC
- Schedule and take the TEAS for Practical Nursing Program. Must obtain a minimum adjusted total individual score of 55% or higher
- Complete the background check requirements
- Submit a completed application for admission and Florida Residency documents
- Must pass a mandatory drug screening after the start of the program
- Submit physical exam and immunization – PPD or CXR, Hepatitis B, influenza, MMR, Varicella, Tdap, COVID-19
The total program cost of $8,305.33 includes tuition ($5,934), application, TEAS test, background screen, textbooks, supplies, uniforms, insurance, graduation costs, NCLEX, student ID, and CPR card.
- Website: https://fctc.edu/
- Address: 2980 Collins Avenue, St. Augustine, FL 32084
- Phone: (904) 547-3282
- Fax: (904) 679-3551
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 0.00%