Certified Nursing Assistants work under the supervision of licensed nurses to deliver safe and competent care to patients in long-term care facilities, patients’ homes, hospitals, and other health care settings. Due to their close contact with residents, CNAs usually are first to recognize changes in physical and mental health. Their continuous relationships with residents are critical to the safety, satisfaction, and rehabilitation of the people they care for.
Attendance of a formal CNA class is not mandatory in Florida State. There are several routes to take the Florida State Nurse Aide Exam, including a “Challenge” route that grants adults eligibility to take the exam formal training. Although training is not required, the knowledge and skills gained in an approved training program will help students succeed in long-term care. Essential areas of study, such as the role of the nurse aide on the health care team, communication and collaboration, infection control, rehabilitation and restoration, and ethics and law, give students the confidence in practice. CNA test prep courses also support students in their desire to develop and practice skills that are critical to their role as a nursing assistant.
Suncoast Technical College
The Nursing Assistant Certificate program at Suncoast Technical College is non-matriculated and state-approved. Adults will receive knowledge and skills to care for patients in nursing homes and other health care facilities. Students who successfully complete the program will be prepared to take the State of Florida Nursing Assistant Examination to become a Certified Nursing Assistant. The curriculum covers 120 hours of classroom and practical instruction. The supervised clinical experience covers 40 hours and will provide opportunities to provide direct patient care under the supervision of a licensed nurse. Areas of study include medical terminology, body structure and function, role of the nurse aide, infection control, vital signs, observation and reporting, basic nursing skills, communication and interpersonal relationships, safety and emergency procedures, fluid intake and output, mental health, and Alzheimer’s care. The duration of the program is one month. Classes meet in the daytime only.
- Attend an information session
- Submit a completed Health Science application by the appointed deadline
- Pay the application fee of $45
- Complete a physical exam – the report must document good physical health including no lifting restrictions
- Submit to a background check conducted by Suncoast
The program is not eligible for financial aid.
- Website: https://www.suncoast.edu/career-pathways/health-public-services/nursing-assistant-ltc
- Address: 4748 Beneva Road, Sarasota, FL 34233
- Phone: 941-924-1365
- Fax: 941-316-8170
Life Support Training Solutions
Life Support Training Solutions offers a CNA exam prep course to prepare adults for success on the Florida CNA state exam. Graduates will take the “challenge” route and be eligible for state licensure after the successful passage of the exam. The class size is limited to 6 students to offer an intimate environment for learning. Various schedules are available to meet students’ needs. The training will include hands-on practice which requires student participation. Hands-on training is designed like the Florida skills exam to give students opportunities to perform clinical skills on manikins and classmates. The day class meets for three days – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm. The evening class meets for four nights – Monday through Thursday from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. The weekend class meets on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. The admission requirements are based on the state licensure requirements.
- Must be 18 years or older, or
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Pass a level 2 background check – $80
The total cost of attendance is $535, including the background check fee, tuition, and CNA test fee. Students must purchase scrubs and closed-toe shoes for the class.
- Website: https://www.lifesupporttrainingsolutions.com/cnaclassessarasota/
- Address: 4123 N. Tamiami Trail, Suite 201, Sarasota, FL 34234
- Phone: 1-866-808-6003
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pines of Sarasota
Pines of Sarasota Rehabilitation & Senior Care Community offers an opportunity for adults to begin a career as a nursing assistant through its free CNA test prep course. The Center will cover the cost of the test prep training, student manual, and state exam. The training includes hands-on training with an experienced registered nurse training and employment for students who pass the exam. Students will develop nursing skills that will ensure their success in practice. The training, developed under the guidance of the Florida Health Care Association, is fully interactive and covers 80 to 100 contact hours of classroom theory and hands-on clinical skills evaluation. The duration of the program is 21 days. Upon completion of the prep course, students will complete 1-4 weeks of mentoring with a senior coach as a paid Resident Attendant Intern. They will function as RAIs until the results of the exam are available. The exam is offered at the facility. Candidates are selected based on a point system that evaluates the application, shadowing experience, professional and personal references, and written essay.
- Submit a completed application for acceptance
- Submit a completed essay on the requested topic
- Provide two references – one personal and one profession
- Provide documentation of any health care experience
- Background check may be required
Training is free. The facility will cover the cost of tuition, state test, and student manual.
- Website: https://pinesofsarasota.org/education-institute/
- Address: 1501 N. Orange Avenue, Sarasota, Florida 34236
- Phone: (941) 365-0250
Manatee Technical College
Students enrolled in the Patient Care Technician program at Manatee Technical College will be prepared to earn Certified Nurse Assistant certification in Florida State. The curriculum covers 600 hours of theory and practical instruction. Course include but are not limited to medical terminology, health science core curriculum, emergency care, nutrition, patient care procedures, infection control, aging process and gerontology, infection control and CPR, and body structure and function. Course modules are Basic Healthcare Worker, Nurse Aide and Orderly (Articulated), Advanced Home Health Aide, Patient Care Assistant, Allied Health Assistant, Advanced Allied Health Assistant, and Patient Care Technician. The program requires 6 months to complete. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. New students are admitted in August and January every year.
- Attend a mandatory information session
- Submit a completed application to the program
- Attend an interview with a Career Counselor
The estimated cost of the program is $2,638. It includes tuition, lab fees, application fee, administrative fee, drug screening, uniform patches, BLS for Health Care Provider and Student Manual, clinical liability insurance, textbooks, background check, and state certification. Additional costs will include uniforms, shoes, physical exam, and immunization.
- Website: https://manateetech.edu/career-prep/patient-care-technician/
- Address: 6305 State Road 70 East Bradenton, FL 34203
- Phone: 941-751-7900
The CNA program at ICCE includes instruction online, in the classroom, lab, and in a clinical setting. In addition to preparation to become a nurse aide, students will also receive home health aide training. The curriculum covers 120 hours of training including 40 hours in a clinical setting. The clinicals will be conducted at the end of the program and will take place at a long-term nursing facility or hospital. Areas of study include medical terminology, infection control, vital signs, blood borne pathogens, range of motion exercises, patient transfers, nutrition and feeding, body structure and function, personal care, basic nursing skills, patients’ rights and independence, law and ethics, the role and function of the nurse aide, and much more. Students must have access to transportation and a flexible schedule to complete the four 5-hour shifts and two 12-hour shifts. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion and will be eligible to take the Florida State Exam.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Complete a medical physical (Submit the completed Health and Immunizations Certification Form)
- Submit immunization records or titers results
- Complete seasonal flu shot
- Submit to a background check
- Pass a drug screen
Tuition for the program is $1,095. It includes BLS certification, bp cuff and stethoscope, background check, drug screen, and textbook.
- Website: https://www.tampatraining.com/allied-health/cna-2/
- Address: 39 Columbia Drive, Tampa, FL 33606
- Phone: 813-259-6010
- Email: ICCE@hccfl.edu
Erwin Technical College
Erwin Technical College’s nursing assistant program comprises of 165 hours of theory and practical instruction. The clinical sessions will be conducted at local nursing homes for convenience and accessibility. They will aid the development of technical skills through the application of content learned in the classroom and lab. Areas of study include medical terminology, infection control, vital signs, blood borne pathogens, range of motion exercises, patient transfers, nutrition and feeding, body structure and function, personal care, basic nursing skills, patients’ rights and independence, law and ethics, the role and function of the nurse aide, and much more. Classes meet Monday from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm and Tuesdays to Fridays from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. The schedule is subject to change. The duration of the program is 2 months.
- Must demonstrate physical ability to perform the duties of a nurse aide
- Pass a background check – must have no felony convictions
- Pass a physical examination
- Take and obtain a satisfactory score on the TABE or meet the exemption requirements
- Submit to random drug screenings
Financial aid is not available.
- Website: http://erwin.edu/CourseDetail.aspx?UniqueId=f8235501-7d86-4639-89b4-582e86898e7c
- Address: 2010 E. Hillsborough Avenue, Tampa, Florida 33610
- Phone: 813-769-5180
CNA Training Academy
The CNA Training Academy offers a Test Prep Training Class to prepare students to challenge the state exam. The program runs for one week and includes an additional refresher week. The school maintains small class sizes to give students an intimate learning environment to develop hands-on skills. Instructors will provide up-to-date information regarding the state exam, which accounts for the high pass rate. Flexible schedules are available to meet students’ needs. Day, evening, and weekend schedules are available.
- No high school diploma or GED required
- Submit a completed application for admission
Tuition is an affordable $199.
- Website: https://cnatrainingacademyclearwater.com/index.html
- Address: 1810 Drew St., Clearwater, FL 33765
- Phone: (727) 678-1479
- Email: email@example.com
National Nursing Institute
National Nursing Institute prepares adults to challenge the Florida CNA exam through its comprehensive, accelerated CNA exam prep course. The training includes hands-on clinical and preparation for the CNA exam. Topics for study include patient/resident rights, medical terminology, infection control, legal and ethical issues, communication and interpersonal relationships, the role and responsibilities of the nurse aide on the health care team, vital signs, documentation skills, patient safety, body mechanics, moving patients, and maintaining a clean environment. Graduates will have the skills to assume entry-level employment in acute and long-term care facilities.
Tuition for the program is $400. The registration fee is $50.
- Website: https://nnicna.com/
- Address: 8900 N. Amenia Avenue, suite 206, Tampa, Fl. 33604
- Phone: 813-252-6538
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org