A projected job growth of 11 percent between 2021 and 2031 for licensed practical nurses in New Jersey provides a solid reason for certified nurse aides to continue their education to become a practical nurse. The estimated job growth translates to an additional 17,000 new jobs to be added. Moreover, the proximity of New Jersey to New York City where the projected job growth is almost triple the rate of New Jersey provides additional opportunities for New Jersey trained practical nurses. Practical nursing programs provide nurse aides with hands-on skills and theory as well as real-world clinical experiences to prepare for a career where they will care for patients under the supervision of a registered nurse. The training helps nurse aides take the next step on the career ladder where they will take a more active role in patient care and have the opportunity to increase their earnings.
Hudson County Community College
The practical nursing certificate program at Hudson County Community College prepares graduates to participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care plans in various health care settings. Students will learn how to counsel patients, educate patients, and provide supportive and restorative care under the direction of a registered nurse. The program is open to certified nursing assistants seeking to prepare for a career a practical nurse. Course topics include fundamentals of practical nursing, nursing clients, maternal child health, role transition, practical nursing capstone, and introduction to psychology. Students must also complete anatomy and physiology II and human biology. Graduation requires completion of 46 credit hours which are transferable to a registered nursing program. The program is accredited by the New Jersey Board of Nursing. Graduates are eligible to sit for the licensing exam for practical nurses.
- Submit a completed application for admission to HCCC
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must submit an official copy of high school transcript/diploma or GED
- Must submit an official transcript of all college credit/transcript
- Submit a social security card and/or valid state ID
- Complete placement test – Exit Academic Foundations and/or ESL
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum 2.0 GPA – College Composition, College Algebra, Biology
- Must successfully complete the ATI-TEAS or NLN-PAX – SAT scores accepted as an alternative
- Must complete health screening
- Provide proof of health insurance and CPR certification
- Must have professional liability insurance
- Must complete a criminal background check
Tuition costs $149 per credit hour in-county residents, $298 for out-of-county students, and $440 for those out of state. Other costs include lab fees, physical exam, health insurance, drug screen, student nurse uniforms, books, insurance, and background check.
- Website: https://www.hccc.edu/
- Address: 870 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306
- Phone: (201) 360-4267
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 50%
Jersey College – School of Nursing
The practical nursing program at Jersey College takes holistic approach to train students for nursing opportunities at various health care facilities. The curriculum includes theory and hands-on training that builds on the holistic nursing model. Students will learn the importance of addressing the physical, emotional, social, economic, and spiritual needs to patients in the complete society. In addition to the classroom and lab activities, students will participate in real-world care at offsite practicum partners. The program requires the completion of 1,501 contact hours. Course topics include human anatomy and physiology, fundamentals of nursing plus practicum, pharmacology, adult nursing plus practicum, mental health nursing, and maternal and pediatric nursing. The program is spread across four 12-week terms. Graduates are eligible to apply for the NCLEX-PN for licensure as a practical nurse. They may be eligible for immediate transfer into the LPN to RN bridge track of the professional nursing program.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must complete a satisfactory criminal background check
- Must attend a program orientation session
- Must read and sign the enrollment agreement
- Must be in good physical health
- Must submit record of immunizations – TB test, Hepatitis B, tetanus, and rubella, varicella, and measles
- Must submit to a drug screen
- Must have current health and liability insurance
Tuition costs $28,299. Books cost an additional $1,956. Other costs include technology fee, uniform fee, nursing kit, computer, and supplies.
- Website: https://www.jerseycollege.edu/
- Address: 546 U.S. 46, Teterboro, NJ 07608
- Phone: (201) 489-5836
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 94%
Holy Name Medical Center
Holy Name Medical Center’s practical nursing program is open to certified nursing assistants seeking to advance their careers. The curriculum combines foundational nursing concepts with hands-on clinical training at local health care facilities. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, introduction to psychology, life span development, English composition, introduction to nursing, and concepts of practical nursing. Clinical experiences will be conducted in long-term and acute care facilities. Graduates are eligible to apply to take the NCLEX for licensure as a practical nurse. They will earn 17 credits of transferable college credit. At the conclusion of the training, the student will be prepared to engage in clinical judgment to make patient-centered care decisions, provide safe, quality and evidenced based nursing care, use informatics to communicate and manage knowledge and reduce errors, and engage in clinical judgment to make patient centered care decisions. The duration of the program is 12 months.
- Must submit a completed application for admission and application fee of $75
- Must attend a School of Nursing Information Session prior to the application deadline
- Must submit an official transcript from high school or GED
- Must take and pass the TEAS with a minimum composite score of 50%
- Must submit an official transcript of college courses
- Must have physical capability to meet the program’s objectives
- Must submit to a criminal background check and drug screen
- Must meet the health requirements including a physical exam, 2-step Mantoux test, immunization, and health and liability insurance.
The total program cost of $33,683 includes tuition, health fee, background check fee, drug screen fee, course testing fee, library fee, ATI fee, administrative fee, uniform fee, liability insurance, graduation fee, books, and supplies.
- Website: https://www.holyname.org/SchoolOfNursing/index.aspx
- Address: 333 Hudson Terrance, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
- Phone: (551) 248-4600
- Fax: 201-833-7209
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 68%
Lincoln Tech offers hands-on practical nursing training for certified nurse aides and those who are new to health care. Students will complete simulated medical exercises as well as student to student practice, and real-world clinical rotations. Experienced faculty bring industry experience to the labs and classrooms. Students will learn how to take vital signs, employ infection control procedures, dress wounds, and administer medications. The program requires completion of 1500 instructional hours. Course topics include human anatomy and physiology, nursing fundamentals, professional awareness, professional development, nursing clinical, medical surgical nursing, maternal pediatric nursing, mental health nursing, life span growth and development, and pharmacology. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX to become a licensed practical nurse. The day program may be completed in 52 weeks. The evening program is 84 weeks.
- Must be a high school graduate or have a state-approved equivalency
- Take and pass the Learner Assessment
- Must have a computer and reliable internet access
- Must complete and sign the enrollment agreement
- Must be 18 years of age before graduating from the program
- Must complete a nursing entrance exam with acceptable results
- Must submit a resume or document that includes work history, contact information, and name
- Complete a short essay provided by the admissions staff
- Must have complete and current immunization records
- Must complete a physical exam indicating ability to perform job duties
- Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations
- Must complete a drug test
The program cost of $34,092 includes tuition, required textbooks, nursing uniform, registration fees, nursing kit, and technology fee.
- Website: https://www.lincolntech.edu/
- Address: 240 Bergen Town Center, Paramus, NJ 07652
- Phone: (201) 845-6868
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 75%
Camden County College
The practical nursing program at Camden County College leads to a Practical Nursing Certificate. The curriculum provides students with knowledge and technical abilities to care for patients under the direction of a registered nurse. Coursework includes biology, foundations of practical nursing, anatomy and physiology, practical nursing, basic psychology, trends issues and advanced nursing concepts, and English compositions. Students must complete all prerequisites before applying to program. General education requirements include communication, math, science technology, and psychology. Graduates will be eligible to apply to the Board of Nursing for the licensure exam. The duration of the program is 4 semesters.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must provide proof of high school graduation or GED
- Must obtain a minimum overall TEAS score of 55% with a minimum score of 50% in both reading and math
- Must submit official college transcripts from all colleges attended – if applicable
- Must follow the placement requirements of the Testing Center
- Must complete a physical exam and provide proof of required immunizations include COVID vaccine and booster
- Must have liability insurance and health insurance
- Must provide a clear urine drug screen and clear criminal background check
- Must provide proof of CPR certification -AHA with AED for Health Care Professionals
Tuition and fees cost $165 per credit for in-county residents and $169 per credit for residents out-of-county and out-of-state. Additional costs for books and supplies will apply.
- Website: https://www.camdencc.edu/
- Address: 200 College Dr, Blackwood, NJ 08012-0200
- Phone: (856) 374-5089
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 95%