Certified nursing assisting may be a stepping stone to a career in nursing. It is a means of testing the waters to determine if healthcare is right for you. As a nurse aide, you will work under the direction of a licensed practical nurse or registered nurse to meet the basic needs of patients in acute, long-term, or home health care. If you’re ready to take a broader role in patient care, you can enroll in a practical nursing program and complete the requirements to take the NCLEX licensure exam and practice as a licensed practical nurse. Some LPN programs in North Carolina require a current nurse aide license for admissions. Other LPN programs grant extra points to current and active nurse aides who are listed on the Nurse Aide I Registry. Practical nursing programs may be completed in 12 months or less.
Certified nursing assistants applying to the practical nursing program at ECPI University will obtain extra points in the competitive admissions process. They may enroll in the program to prepare for practice as a licensed practical nurse. The comprehensive program includes instruction in the classroom as well as hands-on activities in the simulation lab and during clinical rotations at local health care facilities. The curriculum covers 1,736 contact hours of instruction – or 48.5 semester credits. Course content includes freshman orientation, anatomy and physiology with terminology, study skills, dosage calculations, concepts of nursing, pharmacology, medical surgical nursing, acute care nursing, role transition, introduction to psychology, and normal life span. The entire curriculum covers 1,736 contact hours (48.5 semester credit hours). Graduates will be prepared to function within the role of the practical nurse to deliver care to clients and families, communicate with clients, families and members of the health care team, use critical thinking to deliver nursing care, assume responsibility for personal and professional growth, and integrate ethical, professional and legal responsibility into actions and decisions. They will have the confidence, knowledge and skills to pass the NCLEX for Practical Nurses. The duration of the program is 15 months.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or GED – diploma, transcripts, or test scores required
- Schedule and attend a personal interview with an admissions representative
- Take and pass the admissions assessment
- Apply for admission to the program
- Must be in good physical and mental health- a satisfactory health report required
- CNA candidates must have a current license in NC
- Must have current CPR certification
- Complete a satisfactory background check and drug screen
Tuition for full-time students is $9,720 per semester (12 to 18 credits). Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://www.ecpi.edu/
- Address: 4101 Doie Cope Rd., Raleigh, NC 27613
- Phone: 919-283-5748
- Toll-Free: 844-611-0718
- Fax: 919-571-0780
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Central Carolina Community College
The practical nursing diploma program at Central Carolina Community College is open to nurse aides who want to further they educational preparation and training to become a licensed practical nurse. They will receive knowledge and skills to care for children and adults. Students will participate in assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care. Course topics include college transfer success, anatomy and physiology, practical nursing, general psychology, and expository writing. Graduates are eligible to apply for the NCLEX-PN to become a practical nurse. The duration of the program is 3 semesters and requires the completion of 45 credits to graduate.
- Complete documentation for the North Carolina Residency Determination
- Apply for admission to the College
- Meet with an Admissions Specialist to review MAP: Embark Assessment results
- Must have a high school unweighted GPA of 2.8 or above
- Complete the placement test – acceptable tests include SAT, ACT, Compass, or Accuplacer scores
- Must be listed active on the NC Nursing Assistant I Registry with no findings of abuse or neglect
- Complete the ATI TEAS and submit scores – the score from the Reading section will be used to determine points toward competitive admission
- Complete an online information session
- Criminal background check and drug screen
- Completed medical forms and immunizations
- Must be certificated by the American Heart Association with a BLS Provider certification
- Attend a mandatory acceptance session
- Obtain malpractice insurance
The cost of the program is $5,941 for in-state students and $13,813 for out-of-state residents. It includes tuition, books, malpractice insurance, student fee, technology fee, lab fee, uniform package, and electronic resources.
- Website: https://www.cccc.edu/
- Address: 51 Red Mulberry Way, Lillington, NC 27546
- Phone: (910) 814-8999
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 92.59%
Durham Technical Community College
Certified nursing assistants may apply to the Practical Nursing at Durham Technical Community College to receive a Practical Nursing Diploma and start a new career as a licensed practical nurse. The PN curriculum provides knowledge and skills required to provide quality nursing car and meet the needs to clients and their families. It builds upon the domains of healthcare, nursing practice, and the holistic individual. range of nursing activities, and a supervised clinical experience in a healthcare facility. Areas of study include clinical decision-making, professional behaviors, ethical principles, legal issues, informatics and evidence-based practice, caring interventions, collaboration, health policy, quality improvement, and trends in nursing. Clinical session, conducted at local health care facilities, run concurrently with the classroom sessions and permit the application of skills taught in the classroom. The practical nursing diploma is 44 credit hours. Graduates will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. The day program may be completed in 3 semesters.
- Apply for admission to Durham Tech
- Attend a mandatory nursing information session
- Attend a ConnectSession – required for all students
- Submit official high school and college transcripts
- Apply for financial aid
- Must demonstrate readiness for college-level reading and math – an unweighted US high school GPA of 2.8 or higher, transfer college credit for English and Math, proof of completing an associate or bachelor’s degree, satisfactory scores on ACT, SAT, GED, or mastery on the RISE English placement test 2 and RISE Math placement test 2
- Complete the English Language Requirement Form
- Must have current CNA certification and be listed on the Nurse Aide I Registry
- Submit to a criminal background check and drug screen
- Complete the general prerequisite with a grade C or better – English Writing and Inquiry, General Psychology, Basic Anatomy and Physiology, and Math Measurement and Literacy
The estimated cost of tuition and fees is $3,116. Books and supplies are additional. The program is eligible for financial aid.
- Website: https://www.durhamtech.edu/
- Address: 1637 East Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703
- Phone: 919-536-7200
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Fayetteville Community College
Certified nursing assistants enrolled in the Practical Nursing program at Fayetteville Community College will acquire additional knowledge and skills to integrate safety and quality into nursing care to meet the needs of patients to impact health, quality of life, and achievement of potential. The course work builds upon the domains of health care, nursing practice, and the holistic individual. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, general psychology, practical nursing, expository writing, health illness concepts, family health concepts, pharmacology, and complex health concepts. Students must complete 44 credit hours to graduate with a diploma in practical nursing. Graduates are eligible to apply to take the NCLEX-PN, which is required for as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The duration of the program is 3 semesters. Day and evening programs are available.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED – official transcript required
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade B or higher – 1 unit of Biology, 1 unit of Algebra, and 1 unit of chemistry
- Must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA on prerequisite courses
- Take and pass the TEAS with an overall score of 58.7 or higher – must be no more than three years at the time of the application
- Attend a program information session
- Apply for admission to FCC
- Submit a completed application to the nursing program by the published deadline
- Complete a criminal background check and drug screen
- Must have current CPR certification – BLS for Healthcare Providers
- Submit documentation of immunization – hepatitis B, influenza, TB test, MMR, Tdap
- Must maintain health insurance throughout the program
The estimated program cost of $6,199 includes tuition, physical, immunization, fees, clinical badge, liability insurance, background check, drug screening, CPR certification, HESI testing package, supplies, student uniforms, watch, shoes, graduation fee, NCLEX Practical Nursing review, nursing licensure exam, and Board of Nursing background check.
- Website: https://www.faytechcc.edu/
- Address: 2201 Hull Rd., Fayetteville, NC 28303
- Phone: (910) 678-8473
- Fax: (910) 678-0085
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Sampson Community College
The Practical Nursing program at Sampson Community College admits nurse aides who are listed in active status on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry. The curriculum includes theory and practical instruction in practical nursing, anatomy and physiology, general psychology, pharmacology and others. Students will learn how to evaluate the concepts of the holistic individual and client response to promote health and wellness, participate in the nursing process to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate client centered care, collaborate with the interprofessional healthcare team to provide safe competent nursing care, use informatics to access, manage, and communicate client information, and assume responsibility for continued learning and self-development. Graduates are eligible to apply to take the NCLEX-PN which is required for practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Must be admitted to Sampson Community College
- Apply for admission to the nursing program
- Must have current CPR (American Heart Association – Basic Life Support Provider) Certification
- Must have current NC Nurse Aide Certification listed on the NC Nurse Aide Registry and have no substantial findings
- Complete the ATI TEAS – proficient, exemplary or advanced level
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Complete the prerequisite courses before admission – Chemistry, Biology, Algebra, English
- Applicants who have completed courses within the program must have a grade C or higher
- Must have a cumulative GPA or 2.0 or higher
- Submit a background check and drug screen
Tuition costs $1,216 per semester. Books, supplies, and fees must be added to the cost. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://www.sampsoncc.edu/
- Address: PO Box 318, Clinton, NC 28329
- Phone: 910-592-8081
- NCLEX-RN Pass Rate: 100%
Wayne Community College
The Practical Nursing program at Wayne Community College provides nurse aides and those who are new to health care with the knowledge and skills to meet the needs of patients and impact health, quality of life, and achievement of potential. Students will learn how to use the nursing process to provide individualized, safe, competent, and effective nursing care, demonstrate caring behaviors in implement nursing care to diverse clients across the lifespan, use established policies, procedures, and practice in the delivery of nursing care, and participate in the teaching and counseling of clients as assigned by the registered nurse, and organize care of groups of clients. Graduates will receive a practical nursing diploma and be eligible to take the NCLEX for Practical Nurses.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Complete high school or college chemistry with a grade C or better – completed within 10 years of admission
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must present evidence of good physical and mental health including required immunization and health screening
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Submit to a drug screening – completed at the applicant’s expense
- Provide evidence of current certification in an American Health Association Basic Life Support CPR and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) for Healthcare Professionals
Tuition and fees for in-state students cost $2,391 and $5,463 for out-of-state students. Books, supplies, uniforms, insurance, and NCLEX exam fee must be added to the cost.
- Website: https://www.waynecc.edu/
- Address: 3000 Wayne Memorial Dr., Goldsboro, NC 27534
- Phone: 919-735-5151
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%