Certified nurse aides (CNAs) care for the sick, disabled, and senior patients who are unable to fully care for themselves. They monitor and record vital signs, assist with the activities of daily living including bathing, dressing, and toileting, support nurses with rehabilitative treatments, perform transfers and ambulation, and change linens and keep rooms organized and neat.
As primary caregivers, CNAs are important members of the healthcare team. They work under the guidance of a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse to ensure patients’ comfort and safety. The career offers job security as demand for professional CNAs remains high. The employment rate is expected to remain positive over the next decade due to the aging population in need of constant care, rising cases of chronic illnesses, high turnover rates, and retirement of experienced nursing assistants. The opportunity to care for patients is rewarding in itself. However, you can use your nurse aide training and experience as a stepping stone to becoming a licensed nurse where you will have a greater role in patient care and restoration.
Trident Technical College
The CNA program offered by Trident Technical College prepares students for entry-level employment as a nurse aide. The training consists of 80 hours of classroom theory and hands-on lab followed by 50 hours of clinical training in an approved nursing facility. Students will learn how to care for patients in long-term care, measure vital signs using manual equipment, and communicate with patients, their families, and members of the health care team, Attendance on the first day of class, and the first day of clinical is mandatory. Only students who complete the program requirements and earn a final grade of 80 percent and a competency of 5/5 on the skills assessment will be eligible for graduation. Upon successful completion of the comprehensive 130 hours of training, students will be eligible to sit for the S.C. Nurse Aide Certification Exam administered by the NACES Plus Foundation; Inc. Morning, afternoon, evening, and all-day class schedules are available for students’ convenience.
- Must be at least 17 years old
- Must provide a copy of a driver’s license
- Purchase uniforms and required material
- Must have no felony conviction or be listed on the S.C. Abuse Registry to be eligible for certification.
The cost of tuition is $949. The cost of textbooks, scrubs, shoes, blood pressure cuff, and stethoscope must be covered by the student.
- Website: https://www.tridenttech.edu/ce/programs/catalog/careers-in-patient-care.htm
- Address: PO Box 118067 CE-M, Charleston, SC 29423-8067
- Phone: 843-574-6152
PATCH Career Institute
PATCH prepares adults for state certification and to perform the responsibilities of a Certified Nursing Assistant in long-term care. The training includes classroom and supervised clinical experiences to help students develop skills, attitudes, behaviors and confidence to provide competent care for patients in long-term facilities. Areas of study include basic nursing skills, CPR, proper patient handling, anger management, residents’ rights, body mechanics, diet, nutrition, infection management, admitting and discharging patients, and identifying signs of symptoms of infections. The training will include 130 hours of instruction according to state requirements. Program graduates will be prepared to take the state exam to become a Certified Nurse Aide. Morning and evening schedules are available. Morning classes meet Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. Evening classes meet Monday through Thursday from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. The duration of the program is 6 weeks.
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a valid driver’s license and social security card
- Must have no criminal convictions
- Complete a satisfactory health check
The cost of the program is $790. Flexible payment plans are available for all students. The cost of books, uniforms, and supplies are not included in the cost.
- Website: http://www.patchcareerinstitute.com/nurses_aide_training_program.html
- Address: 1818 Norwood St N Charleston, S.C. 29405
- Phone: (843) 744-1249
Technical College of the Lowcountry
The nurse aide class at the Technical College of Lowcountry provides adults with a basic level of knowledge and skills to provide nursing related care in a skilled nursing facility. The curriculum combines 120 hours of classroom and clinical experiences in basic nursing, communication, senior care, nutrition, infection control, observation and reporting, and collaborating with the health care team. Students will be eligible to participate in the clinical experiences only after obtaining a 75 percent passing score on the classroom requirements. A minimum mandatory 90 percent attendance rate is required for graduation. Students must fulfill all the registration requirements and are admitted on a first-complete first-registered basis. Day and evening schedules are available. The duration of the program is 6 weeks.
- Provide a state-issued photo ID – driver’s license, passport, or photo ID
- Must have completed a SLED background check within 3 months of the class start date
- Complete a satisfactory 2-step PPD or QuantiFERON Gold within 3 months of the program start date
- Submit a WIN/R2W/WorkKeys scores/certificate – Level SILVER (4)
- Must have current CPR certification – Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (AHA approved)- before the first day of class
- Complete the health requirements including Hepatitis B waiver
The program fee of $1,500 includes tuition, textbook, and exam fee. The AHA approved Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR class is also included. Other costs include white scrubs, white shoes, a wristwatch with a second hand, and a box of gloves. Financial aid is available through WIOA, SNAP, SCWORKS, Vocational Rehabilitation, and Scholarships. A flexible payment plan is available for all students.
- Website: https://www.tcl.edu/continuing-education-workforce-development/healthcare-career-training/certified-nursing-assistant-cna/
- Address: 921 Ribaut Road, Beaufort, SC 29902
- Phone: (843) 525-8207