Candidates for California CNA certification must be a minimum of 16 years at the time of certification. The California Department of Education manages CNA training within the state. Some of the state’s approved training providers include vocational schools, high schools, nursing homes, community colleges and private programs. However, before enrolling in a nurse aide training program, the applicant must provide proof of a physical exam, a negative TB skin test, and a criminal background check. While the federal law requires all CNAs to complete 75 hours of training, state laws require CNA candidates to complete 150 hours of training including classroom lectures and clinical experience.
Kash Career College
The nursing assistant program at Kash Career College prepares students to become entry-level workers at acute care or long-term healthcare facilities. Both the classroom and clinical components of the course teach students how to interact with patients, access their needs, observe patients’ conditions and execute preventative health care. Mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends and a fast-track option are available for students’ convenience. Students complete the fast-track program in just 20-days. The morning and afternoon programs can be completed in 28 days. The evening class runs for 8 weeks, and the weekend program meet for 10 weekends.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- A high school diploma is not required
- Must pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- Complete doctor’s health and physical exam and TB clearance
- Pay the registration fee of $260
The total program cost of $1,340 includes tuition and registration. Other costs include uniforms, gait belt, and name badges. The textbook is free.
- Website: http://www.kashcareercollege.com/index.html
- Address: 1333 Howe Avenue, Suite 100, Sacramento, CA 95825
- Phone: (916) 978-0700
SacMed Training prepares students to take the California Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Evaluation. Graduates obtain practical knowledge for their roles as nurse assistants and learn to address the needs of patients or residents at healthcare facilities. The classroom and clinical components of the program total 160 contact hours with 60 hours dedicated to classroom lectures and lab and the final 100 hours for clinical training at a skilled nursing facility. Instructors deliver the course content through lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on learning in a clinical setting.
- Must have a valid government photo ID and social security card
- Submit a completed application and non-refundable registration fee of $110
- Complete livescan fingerprint
- Must be proficient on the computer
- Must be able to video conference
- Complete a physical exam including immunization and TB clearance
The total cost of training is $1380 inclusive of the training manual and student ID badge. Registration costs an extra $110. An easy payment plan is available for all students.
- Website: https://www.sacmedtraining.com/
- Address: 3443 Ramona Ave, Suite 25, Sacramento, CA 95826
- Phone/Fax: (916) 226-5427
Curam College of Nursing
The 160-hour nurse assistant training at Curum College of Nursing meets the requirements of the California Department of Health. Students complete both the theoretical and clinical components of the program in 20 days. Instructors use lectures, role play, and live demonstrations to deliver the course content in the classroom and give students the opportunity to put their learning into practice during the clinical experience. At the end of the training, graduates are eligible to take the state exam administered by the American Red Cross and become competent Certified Nurse Assistants. Students can take the state exam at Curam’s approved-testing facility.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Musst have a valid driver’s license and social security card
- Provide proof of US grade 12 completion or equivalent
- Complete a satisfactory medical-physical. Must obtain a fit for duty without restrictions
- Complete a satisfactory TB test
- Complete Live Scan
- Submit a completed application online and non-refundable enrollment fee of $105
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement
Tuition costs $1,200. Other expenses and equipment include the enrollment fee, book set, TB test, live scan, medical physical, ARC competency evaluation, and uniforms. A flexible payment plan is available for all students.
- Website: http://curamcollege.com/?page_id=88
- Address: 6520 44th Street Suite #312, Sacramento, CA 95823
- Phone: 916-427-4400
- Fax: 916-676-4865
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Charles A Jones Career and Education Center
Graduates of CAJ’s nurse aide training understand their roles as nursing assistants and can successfully pass the state evaluation and secure employment in an entry-level position at hospitals, nursing homes, outpatient facilities and medical offices. Students learn everything they need in the classroom, lab and at a clinical care facility. The curriculum covers 185 clock hours of theory and practical instruction. Course content emphasizes infection control, communication and interpersonal relationships, nutrition, safety and emergency procedures, patients’ rights, death and dying, vital signs, observation and charting. The duration of the program is 5 weeks.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Attend CAJ virtual orientation – by appointment only
- Take and pass an assessment test – Reading:234 Math: 214
- Pass a drug and criminal background check
- Meet the health requirements include immunization, fit for duty, and TB clearance
The program fee of $2,135 includes registration, tuition, study guide, drug test, CAJ uniforms, and blood pressure/stethoscope. Additional requirements include ARC exam, CPR, professional liability insurance, shoes, and fingerprinting.
- Website: http://caj.scusd.edu/
- Address: 5451 Lemon Hill Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95824
- Phone: (916) 433-2600
- Fax: (916) 433-2640
Careway Health Institute
The nursing assistant program at Careway Health Institute prepares students to provide basic care to patients such as taking vital signs, observation and reporting, personal care, and ensuring patient safety. The curriculum covers 160 clock hours of theory and skills training including a special emphasis on Dementia with Behavioral Challenges. The classroom lectures will cover 60 hours and the clinical rotations will account for 100 hours of the total program requirements. Students who successfully complete the requirements will receive a Certificate of Completion and be eligible to sit for the Nurse Aide Certification Exam. Day, evening, and weekend schedules are offered. Day classes meet Mondays through Fridays for 22 days. Evening classes meet Mondays through Fridays from 3:00 pm to 9:30 pm for 31 days. Weekend classes meet Saturday and Sunday for 11 weekends.
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Submit a completed application and live scan forms
- Obtain a clear criminal background check
- Submit a completed physical exam with medical history
- Must have current BLS for Healthcare Providers
- Provide a copy of current driver’s license or CA ID and social security card or ITIN card
Tuition for the program mis $1,250. It includes one set of uniform scrubs with Careway logo, Careway ID badge, textbook, clinical supplies, and state exam review. Other costs include the non-refundable registration fee of $250, health and physical exam, Livescan, and state exam.
- Website: https://www.carewayhealth.com/
- Address: 2081 Arena Boulevard, Suite 260, Sacramento, CA 95834
- Phone: (916) 913-1827
Sunrise School of Nursing
The nursing assistant program at Sunrise School of Nursing prepares adults to work as professionals in the nursing field competent in patient care. The curriculum requires completion of 160 hours of theory and clinical skills. Students will complete 60 hours of theory and skills lab in the classroom followed by 100 hours of clinical training conducted at an approved nursing facility. A licensed nurse will supervise students during the clinical rotation. Course topics include vital signs, proper body mechanics, bed making, resident positioning in bed, basic hygiene, transfers, and activities of daily living. The program operates with the approval of the California Department of Public Health, and graduates will be eligible to take the State Licensing Exam for the Certified Nurse Assistant. Day and evening schedules are available.
- Complete the admission form and Enrollment Agreement
- Pay the non-refundable application fee of $195
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Provide proof of completing high school
- Provide a valid photo ID and social security card
- Complete a physical and health examination – includes negative TB test and vaccination (MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B)
- Complete satisfactory fingerprinting and criminal background screen
- Attend a mandatory orientation one week before the start of class
Tuition for the program is $1,295. The registration fee is $195.
- Website: http://www.sunriseschoolofnursing.com/home-1.html
- Address: 3050 Fite Circle, Suite 202, Sacramento, CA 95827
- Phone: 916-221-2854
The Clinical Nursing Assistant Training Program offered by Sierra College provides adults with knowledge and skills to work in acute or long-term care settings. Theory and practical instruction exceed the state-required minimums. Areas of study include observation and reporting, vital signs, personal hygiene, communication and interpersonal relations, patient safety, positioning and transfers, basic nursing skills, the role and responsibility of the nurse aide, infection control, and hospice care. Program graduates will be eligible to take the State of California Certification Examination to become a CNA and work in acute or long-term health care facilities.
- Submit a completed application for admission
- Submit a Declaration of Conviction/No Conviction form
- Must submit to fingerprinting and criminal background check
- Complete a physical exam – must indicate freedom from common communicable diseases by immunization or serologic testing
- Obtain a clear drug screen
- Must have current CPR card for Healthcare Provider (American Heart Association)
- Must have a valid social security card and photo ID
- Must commit to meet the class attendance requirements
- Meet the Essential Functions for course enrollment
- Must purchase a uniform for the clinical experience
Tuition for the program is $253 and books cost approximately $100 to $200. Other costs include uniform, nursing assistant certificate, photo ID, Live Scan fee, parking, PPD immunization, and CPR.
- Website: https://www.sierracollege.edu/index.php
- Address: 5100 Sierra College Blvd, Rocklin, CA 95677
- Phone: (916) 624-3333
American River College
The Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) certificate program at American River College provides instruction in the holistic care and health needs of seniors who live in long-term care facilities. Students will understand the role and responsibility of the certified nursing assistant, determine appropriate interaction with residents, families and members of the health care team, use basic restraint and associated safety measures and alternatives to restraints, and use protective measures to prevent the spread of infection. Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a certificate of course completion and become eligible to take the California state exam to become a certified nurse assistant.
- Complete course AH 110 with a C or better
- Submit a negative TB skin test – must have been completed no more than 90 days prior to the class start
- Submit proof of a current influenza vaccine
- Submit a completed health history and physical exam – completed 90 days prior ot class entrance
- Submit the ARC Nurse Assistant Medical Form
- Must be able to listen, comprehend, and respond verbally and in action to the English language at a minimum sixth-grade level
- Must obtain a criminal screening prior to acceptance
Tuition costs $460. Other costs for books, registration, supplies, state exam, and fees are not included.
- Website: https://arc.losrios.edu/
- Address: 4700 College Oak Drive, Sacramento, CA 95841
- Phone: (916) 484-8011
East Bay CNA
East Bay CNA’s training classes follows a CDPH approved format, which involves zoom meetings and classroom skills training -during the COVID restrictions. Students will be prepared to take the California State CNA Certification Test, expand and enhance the educational career ladder opportunities in the field of nursing, and commit to providing rehabilitation, restoration and maintenance of health. Areas of study include nutrition, vital signs, patient care skills, body mechanics, weights and measures, communication and interpersonal skills, patients’ rights, care of the long-term resident, death and dying, emergency procedures and safety, and medical and surgical asepsis. The duration of the program is 7 weeks.
- Must complete FBI fingerprints within the first week of the program
- Must have a social security card and valid identification with a recent picture
- Complete a satisfactory physical exam
- Submit a satisfactory TB test
- Pay the non-refundable registration fee of $200
Tuition for the program is $1,495. Costs for fees, textbooks, and supplies are not included.
- Website: https://www.hillendalecnaschool.com/
- Address: 2950 Buskirk Ave Ste 290, Walnut Creek, CA 94597
- Phone: 925-297-2676