Demands for health care services increase the need for caring and competent professionals. Certified Nursing Assistants improve the quality of life of patients through the provision of quality care. You can have a rewarding career in health care and make a difference in the lives of patients by enrolling in a CNA class in Illinois.
As a vital member of the health care team, your responsibilities will include direct patient care under the supervision of a registered nurse. You will assist patients with personal hygiene, such as bathing, dressing, and grooming, take patients to the bathroom, or empty bedpans, keep the rooms clean, make beds, move patients from one point to another, serve meals, and assist with restorative treatments. It is critical that you have good interpersonal skills, be compassionate and sensitive to patients’ unique needs, be mindful and respectful of patients’ privacy, and demonstrate professionalism in all your interactions with patients and members of the health care team.
With the high demand for allied health workers, students who complete all the requirements for nursing assistant training and pass the licensing exam will qualify for almost immediate employment.
Technology Center of Dupage
The Basic Nursing Assistant Training Program is approved by the Illinois Department of Health (IDPH). It teaches high school students to basics of patient care in the classroom and helps them build confidence in their abilities through supervised clinical rotations. The curriculum provides foundational knowledge that is beneficial preparation for those planning to pursue an advanced nursing career. The credits received from the course are transferrable to selected nursing programs. Certification as a Nursing Assistant is required for admission to nursing programs. Students learn how to provide safe and quality care, body systems, common health programs, and the nature of diseases. Other vital skills include measuring and recording vital signs, lifting and transporting patients, and performing personal care. Curriculum topics include the role of the nursing assistant, effective observation and communication, body mechanics, infection control, resident rights, healthy work environment, basic emergency care, CPR procedures, moving and transporting patients, recording vital signs, bloodborne pathogens, and resident hygiene. A certificate of completion will be administered to those who pass the clinical competency skills, adhere to the attendance requirements, and maintain a grade of 80 percent or higher on the assessments. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the state competency exam. They may also be eligible to apply to a nursing degree program.
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Must have completed at least 8 years of grade school or equivalent
- Be able to speak and understand English Be in good physical and emotional health
- Complete a physical exam by a health care provider
- Complete a 2 step TB skin test
- Complete a urine drug screen test
- Successfully complete an American Heart Association BLS-CPR certification
- Complete a criminal background check before starting the clinical
Students will be assessed a participation fee of $100 to cover the cost of uniforms, locks, textbooks, workbooks, stethoscope kit, transfer belt, and thermometer.
- Website: https://www.tcdupage.org/domain/15
- Address: 301 S. Swift Rd., Addison, IL 60101
- Phone: 630-620-8770
Best Step Academy
The Basic Nursing Assistant program at Best Step Academy programs students with the skills and knowledge required by the Illinois Department of Public Health to work as entry-level nursing assistants in long-term care. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the state certification exam to become a Certified Nursing Assistant. The 6-week program includes classroom theory and clinical rotations where students will provide hands-on care to build confidence and enhance learning. The supervised clinical experiences will cover 40 hours of patient care in a healthcare facility. Students must have reliable transportation to the clinical sites. Course content includes communication and interpersonal skills, infection control, safety and emergency procedures, promoting resident independence, promoting resident rights, and the IDPH 21 skills. The classes are offered on a morning schedule only. Classes meet Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm for classroom theory, on Wednesdays from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm in the lab, and Thursdays and Fridays from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm for clinical instruction.
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED and be able to speak, read, and write English
- Be in good physical health and be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Complete a physical exam by a licensed physician to include a TB skin test
- Submit to criminal background check initiated by Best Step Academy
- Obtain necessary insurance coverage
Tuition costs $850. The non-refundable registration fee is $50. Students must deposit 50% of the tuition at the time of registration. Additional expenses include TB testing, fingerprint costs, NATCEP testing fees, and CPR certification.
- Website: https://www.beststepacademy.com/
- Address: 10448 W. Cermak Rd., Westchester, IL 60154
- Phone: 708-356-6966
- Alt: 708-710-5714
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
College of DuPage
The Certified Nursing Assistant Training Program at the College of DuPage prepares students for entry-level employment in a long-term care facility. The Illinois Department of Public Health approved program includes classroom and clinical education to prepare students for success on the state competency exam. Candidates who pass the exam will be added to the Illinois Health Care Worker Registry. Students will learn how too function as a valued member of the health care team. Demonstrate safety and awareness in care, identify methods to control the spread of infection, use medical terms and abbreviations, demonstrate understanding of human anatomy and physiology, identify common diseases in the geriatric population, under the role of the nursing assistant in rehabilitative care, complete the protocol of Alzheimer’s diseases and other disorders, and perform the IDPH mandated skills for nursing assistants. Students must attend 100% of the course hours. Unavoidable absences must be made up – based on space availability. Students who miss more than two classroom, lab, or clinical sessions will be required to withdraw from the program.
- Have a valid social security number
- Be 16 years or older
- Submit an application online and pay the non-refundable $20 application fee
- Complete the reading requirements – take the Accuplacer Reading Comprehension Placement Test or submit ACT, SAT scores, or have at least 12 college-level credits
- Complete the health requirements including a physical exam by a licensed physician
- Pass a fingerprint criminal background check
- Attend an advising session
- Complete TB test at drug test no more than 90 days before the program start date
Use the contact information before for details on the class schedule and tuition.
- Website: http://www.cod.edu/nursing_assistant
- Address: 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
- Phone: (630) 942-2800
A Plus Healthcare Training
A Plus Healthcare Training provides CNA training that is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). Students who successfully complete the requirements will receive a certificate of completion and be eligible to take the state competency exam to be qualified to work in healthcare facilities in Illinois. The program at A Plus Healthcare exceeds the minimum recommendations for nurse assistant training set by the IDPH. Small class sizes offer students a personalized environment for learning and undivided attention from committed instructors. Well-equipped facilities and opportunities for hands-on practice also optimize learning. Instructors use demonstrations, interactive discussions, and video in the classroom to enhance learning before transferring students to a real-world environment where they would participate in direct patient care. Flexible schedules accommodate students of varying backgrounds.
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be able to read, write, and speak English
- Have no communicable disease
- Complete the application and all other forms
- Agree to disclose required medical information
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Must be able to multitask and use critical thinking
Tuition for the program costs $1,050. Other costs include textbook, workbook, fingerprint, stethoscope, gait belt, BP cuff, uniform, TB test, and the state competency exam.
- Website: http://www.aplushealthcaretraining.com/
- Address: 459 Dunham Rd. (Ste100), Saint Charles, IL. 60174
- Phone: (630) 549-0577
- Fax: (630) 945-3398
EnVaNa Healthcare Training Center
EnVaNa Healthcare Training Center provides Basic Nursing Assistant training to give students the confidence and knowledge to care for patients or residents in long-term care facilities. The program includes 120 hours including 80 hours of theory and 40 hours of clinical practice in a skilled nursing facility. Areas of study include basic nursing skills, patient needs and comfort, patient safety and security, resident rights, emergency procedures, end of life care, restorative nursing, prevention of injury, oral hygiene, transferring patients, measuring and recording vital signs, infection control procedures, and nurse aide responsibilities. Graduates will be eligible to take the state competency exam to be certified by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH).
- Submit a completed application and the non-refundable registration fee of $50
- Provide proof of completing high school or GED equivalent
- Be at least 16 years old – parental consent must be provided for candidates under 18 year
- High school students must provide evidence of current good standing
- Provide copies of valid ID – social security card and government issued ID
- Be able to read, write, and speak English fluently
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Provide proof of negative TB test or chest x-ray
Tuition costs $850. Students must purchase the required textbook, workbook, uniform, state exam registration, and nursing supplies.
- Website: https://www.envanahealthcare.com/
- Address: 500 E. Ogden Avenue Suite 208, Naperville, IL 60563
- Phone: 630-269-7431
AVID CNA School
AVID CNA School’s Basic Nursing Assistant Training Program comprises of 120 hours of blended theory, hands-on lab, and clinical activities to help students develop basic nursing skills. Students will understand the role of the nursing assistant as part of the nursing team, communicate effectively with team members, demonstrate professionalism and ethics in care, relate to seniors and their needs, promote safety in practice, identify the function and structure of the human body, demonstrate good body mechanics, use correct protocols to prevent the spread of infections, care for persons with mental health problems, and assist with emergency care. Graduates will be capable of providing care under the supervision of registered nurses in hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, and other health care settings. They will be eligible to sit for the competency exam administered by Southern Illinois University of Carbondale (SIUC). Candidates who successfully pass the exam will be added to the Nurse Aide Registry. Morning and evening schedules are available. The morning class meets Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:45 am to 2:30 pm and on Saturdays from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm for 7 weeks. The evening schedule meets Monday through Thursday from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm and on Saturday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm for 5 weeks
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Demonstrate a minimum 10th -grade level reading proficiency
- Complete a physical exam with a TB test – not more than 12 months before the program
- Submit to a criminal background check – initiated by the school
- Provide documentation of health insurance coverage
- A valid state ID and social security number
Tuition for the program is $999. Books, uniforms, equipment, fee, handouts, BLS, and liability insurance cost an additional $384. The cost of the state exam is $67.
- Website: http://www.avidcnaschool.com/
- Address: 67 S Sutton Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107
- Phone: 630-855-3977
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 630-855-8453