Working in the front lines of the healthcare system, even in the face of a worldwide pandemic, nursing assistants care for patients in hospitals, nursing homes, and patients’ homes. The required protocols for limiting the spread of COVID-19 created a need for online education of health care professionals. As such, Basic Nurse Assistant programs today can deliver the theoretical component of the program online with the hands-on practice facilitated on-campus and local healthcare facilities where available. The redesigned programs offer all the benefits of the traditional on-campus programs with the added convenience of online deliver of some of the coursework.
International Career Institute ICI
The Certified Nurse Assistant/Basic Nurse Assistant program at the International Career Institute (ICI) includes both traditional in-class and online options. The curriculum covers 120 hours of theory and hands-on practice. The program is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Concepts covered include infection control, communication skills, documentation skills, patient care, CPR certification, medical terminology, legal issues for nursing, and the role and responsibilities of the health care team. Upon completion of the online theory, students will participate in hands-on practice in the school’s lab and clinical rotations at health care facilities such as Generations at Regency, Glenview Terrace, Niles Center and Rehab, and Warren Barr Gold Coast. Graduates are eligible to take the Illinois State competency exam for certification. Online classes may be started anytime. The weekend class meets on Saturdays from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm for 6 to 8 weeks. The weekday class meets Mondays and Thursdays in the classroom from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm. The clinical sessions meet Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm for 4 to 6 weeks. An accelerated class meets Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm and the time to finish is 3 to 4 weeks.
- Must have a valid social security card
- Pass a criminal background check
- Obtain a clear drug screen
- Provide proof of immunization including a negative TB test
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Take and pass an admission assessment
- Complete a physical exam and submit report
Tuition for the program is $750. The costs for the application fee, school ID, uniform, nursing kit, and practical lab fee are not included. A flexible payment plan is available.
- Website: https://www.ici-training.com/
- Address: 6425 N. Hamlin, Lincolnwood, Il 60712
- Phone: 847-929-6129
- Email: Info@Ici-Training.Com
AVID CNA School
The Certified Nurse Assistant/Basic Nurse Assistant Training Program offered by AVID CNA school now include an option for online participate in the required theory. The curriculum covers 120 clock hours of theory, lab and clinical learning activities. Course topics include introduction to hospitals and nursing centers, work ethics, promoting safety, preventing falls, preventing infections, assisting with hygiene, assisting with emergency care, moving and transferring the patient, body mechanics, body structure and function, restraints and alternatives, and much more. Students who attend all classes and earn a final grade of C or above will receive a Certificate of Completion and be eligible to sit for the competency exam administered by Southern Illinois University of Carbondale (SIUC). The morning class meets Monday and Tuesday from 8:30 am to 2:45 pm for 7 weeks. A 5-week evening and 3-week winter break schedule is also available.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Demonstrate reading comprehension proficiency at the 10th-grade level
- Complete a physical exam which includes a TB test –completed within the last 12 months
- Submit to a background check initiated by the school
- Provide a copy of health insurance coverage
- Must have a valid photo ID and social security number
The program cost of $1,498 includes tuition, registration fee, workbook, textbook, technology fee, and lab kit. Additional costs for criminal background check, state exam, AHA CPR certification are additional.
- Website: https://www.avidcnaschool.com/
- Address: 67 S Sutton Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107
- Phone: 630-855-3977
- Fax: 847-893-6292
- Email: email@example.com
College of DuPage
The Hybrid Certified Nursing Assistant Training Program (CNATP) at the College of DuPage prepares students for state certification as a CNA. The state-approved program includes hybrid courses that are not self-paced. The courses follow a structured content and assignment calendar that students must adhere to. Up to half of the learning will be conducted in the classroom lab and clinical site while the rest is delivered online. There will be weekly online learning modules. However, classroom meet one day a week for lecture-lab and one day for the clinical component. The program covers 120 hours (6 credit hours) including 80 hours of theoretical knowledge and simulated practice and 40 hours of rotations at a local health care facility. Program graduates will be eligible to take the Illinois State Competency Exam to be added to the Illinois Health Care Worker Registry. The duration of the program is 8 to 16 weeks.
- Take an online readiness assessment
- Complete a reading and writing placement test
- Complete a satisfactory QuantiFERPON TB Gold blood test
- Complete and submit a physical exam report – must have occurred within one year of the start of class
- Complete a satisfactory drug screen – must be completed no less than 90 days before the start of class
- Attend a mandatory virtual CNA student orientation
- Undergo a Health Care Worker Background Check before the program start date
The estimated total program cost of $1,266.48 includes application fee, tuition (6 credits), malpractice insurance, textbook, workbook, BLS provider manual, stethoscope, state exam, fingerprinting, background check, drug testing, health requirements, and health requirements.
- Website: https://www.cod.edu/
- Phone: (630) 942-2800
- Address: 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Excelsior Healthcare Academy
The Nursing Assistant program at Excelsior Healthcare Academy is offered in a traditional and hybrid online learning format. The curriculum covers 120 clock hours of theory delivered online and practical experiences at a local health care facility. Course topics include communication, infection control, body structure and function, the role of the nurse assistant, dementia care, patient transfers, resident environment, and patient safety. Graduates will be eligible to take the State Nurse Aide Exam to be added to the Nurse Aide Registry. The duration of the program is 4 weeks. A new class begins every first Monday and ends on the last Saturday of the month.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Applicants without a high school diploma or GED must pass a Basic Skills Test with a minimum verbal score of 70% and a minimum math score of 70%
- Complete a personal interview with an admissions representative
- Submit a completed application for admission and sign the enrollment agreement
- Submit a current and negative TB skin test and negative chest x-ray
- Submit a completed application for a criminal background check
- Submit a physical exam report completed by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner
- Provide a copy of valid state ID and social security card
Tuition for the program is $1,400.
- Website: https://eha.excelsiorhealthcareacademy.com/
- Address: 523 S. Halsted, Chicago Heights, IL 60413
- Phone: (773) 297-2417
- Fax: (708) 898-7897
Medway Institute offers a Basic Nurse Assistant hybrid program comprising of 120 contact hours of online theory and hands-on practice in the school lab and at a health care facility. Students will learn how to provide safe and quality care by following procedures in a healthcare/home care facility. Course topics include medical terminology, infection control, body structure and function, vital signs, the role and responsibility of the nurse aide, patient safety, restraints, law and ethics, and dementia. Graduates will be eligible to take the Illinois State Written Certification Exam for nursing assistants. The exam may be taken at Medway’s approved testing site. The hybrid CNA course can be completed in 8 weeks.
- Take and pass an entrance exam
- Complete and pass the TABE with a proficiency score equivalent to 12th grade level in the areas of reading, mathematics computation, language, and applied math
- Provide proof of completing secondary education or its equivalent
- Provide proof of good medical and physical health examination
- Submit a signed IDPH Authorization for Healthcare Worker Background Check – results should not include any disqualifying convictions
The cost of the program is $2,100.
- Website: https://medwayinstitute.com/
- Address: 3510 West 79th Street, Chicago, IL 60652
- Phone: 1(773) 778-8800
- Fax: 1(773) 778-8808